Wednesday, January 07, 2009

Cornelia finds her comfort zone

The Jakarta Post | Tue, 01/06/2009 7:41 AM | People

CORNELIA AGATHA: (JP/P.J. Leo)CORNELIA AGATHA: (JP/P.J. Leo)

JAKARTA: Actress Cornelia Agatha said she had left the country’s TV soap opera industry simply because she wanted to put her family first.

“I have been in the industry for about 20 years and I will be 36 this Jan. 11. I just want to spend the rest of my life doing something more meaningful,” she told The Jakarta Post on Monday.

She also criticized the low standards of sinetron (TV soap operas), which she said had reached a “severe quality in terms of acting, visual and story quality”.

However, she declined to confirm that this poor quality was the reason for her retreat.

“Even if the quality of sinetron were good, I would still choose my family,” said the mother of two-year-old twins Makayla Athaya Lalwani and Tristan Athala Lalwani.

Cornelia said she preferred the theater to sinetron as it would allow her to spend more time with her family. “If I act in a sinetron I might only see my children once in the morning,” she said.

Performing on stage will also allow her to explore her talents “more deeply”.

“I like singing, dancing and martial arts, and they can all fit into a play. The creative process and exploration in a theatrical play are also deeper.”

With Teater Koma, Cornelia will appear in Republik Petruk (Petruk’s Republic) at Taman Ismail Marzuki arts center in Central Jakarta from Jan. 9 to 25. — JP/Matheos V. Messakh

No comments: