Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Japan and Indonesia in rare tie for bronze

Matheos Viktor Messakh, The Jakarta Post, Guangzhou | Tue, 11/16/2010 9:09 PM

Indonesia’s Susyana Tjhan and Yuki Hiraoka of Japan shared a wushu bronze medal in a rare tie in the women's changquan final in Nansha Gymnasium at the Asian Games in Guangzhou, China, on Tuesday.

Both scored 9.66 out of 10 in their changquan routines and had to wait 10 minutes after receiving their scores before learning they would both stand on the podium’s bronze-medal step.

Usually a tied score in a Taolu event goes to the athlete who performed the most difficult movements, but Susyana and Hiraoka scored the same on all three scoring components.

“I am satisfied with my result. Although I won the silver medal at the Doha Asian Games, I don’t feel regret, because I tried my best,” said 26-year-old Susyana.

Hiraoka said she was very happy to share the bronze with Susyana.

“There was no pressure for me because I'm not famous in China. What I want to do after the competition is to eat the chocolate, cake and desserts at the Athletes Village.” she said laughing.

It is not the first time a medal has been tied in wushu at the Asian Games, but it is still a rare occasion. At the 1998 Bangkok Asian Games two athletes shared silver in the men's changquan and at the 1994 Hirosima games there was a tie for bronze in the men's taijiquan.

Susyana's bronze was her second Asian Games medal after she won a silver at the 2006 Doha Asian Games.

The gold medal went to Geng Xiaoling of Hong Kong who posted a score of 9.75. Xiaoling is the world daoshu champion but entered the changquan event because her favorite event was not featured at the Guangzhou program.

“Actually, I want to cry now. I prepared for this Games for a long time and I had pressure. I feel tired, not only physically but also psychologically. It is very hard,” Xiaoling said through an interpreter. “I have knee and ankle injuries and a pulled leg muscle. I could hardly move in the most serious period,” she added.

The 26-year-old Xiaoling said she had prepared hard. “People may see our wonderful performances during the competition but they cannot imagine the tedious training we have to do. We have to repeat the same training again and again, every day.”

Myanmar's Oo Sandi Oo, the last woman to compete, won silver with a score of 9.67.

No comments: